Thursday, June 21, 2012

Beach Boys: Not Fragile


What's more surprising, that Rolling Stone magazine ran an article about the Beach Boys ("fragile") 50th anniversary tour, that is isn't crushingly depressing, or that I'm actually on here writing about it. Or about anything.

If only Rolling Stone had seen fit to put the Beach Boys on the cover (rather than Fiat-house-driving, house-arrest-flaunting Charlie Sheen). I guess they know, better than I do, what sells, but I thought the world was over that guy. Some day I'll have to read the Cliff's Notes for that Two Men and a Baby show he was on. Or whatever it was called. Maybe then I'll understand why he was ever a thing.

The Beach Boys article was totally unexpected. When was the last time RS devoted any space to a quality, vintage act? I have a subscription* and I can tell you, this kind of content is sparse. You generally have to go to a UK magazine -- Uncut, Mojo, Shindig -- to read about 60s/70s bands and artists. Unless he's shot himself in the chest (Bob Welch) or gotten caught having placed a video camera in his fiancee's sister's bedroom, then offing himself (Brad Delp).
Points for originality for Brad, though. He did it by lighting two grills full of charcoal then shutting himself in a bathroom with them until the CO2 did its work on him.


My favorite parts of the nicely balanced RS piece:
  • The diner photo. Brian's expression looks as natural and happy as I've seen in any pic of him since the 60s. And David gets a spot at the table, and something to eat, while Bruce -- still treated like a replacement -- is squeezed in and has to settle for a soda!
    The acknowledgment of David Mark's early
    contributions to the group was very nice to see.
  • The props for Al Jardine's voice. He's clearly taken good care of it and now, he's reaping the benefits.
  • Al's kind of befuddled cluelessness. He's become the Peter Tork of the band! He heads for the bus after the last song, no one else shows up, so he goes to sleep! He just comes off as a charming goof.
  • The fact that the friction isn't whitewashed, nor sensationalized. I haven't paid much attention to the composition of the backing musicians (John Cowsill on drums! really?!). Alluding to the blend of Brian and Mike backup players having to work things out was interesting, yet tasteful.
  • Also tasteful was the representation of Brian's and Mike's differing approaches to the music, the legacy, and touring. While I will never absolve Mr. Love of some of his acts and statements, at least he's upfront about his motivations. He wants to take the hits to his audience, as economically as possible.
  • My favorite section was Brian's "Bloody Mary and jeans" conversation with that woman on the plane. I won't spoil it for those who haven't read the article, except to say that it seems just like the Brian Wilson who asks for a candy bar "and then we'll have world peace."
I've been having a tough time getting on board with the whole notion of this reunion, and I'm still on the fence, but this article went a long way toward making me feel better about the motives and the outcomes.


* Several years ago, Rolling Stone offered "lifetime subscriptions" for fifty bucks. If I'm reading my mailing label correctly, they know something about my lifespan that I don't. And I better watch out around February, 2055.